Village of Chester
Code Enforcement Officer - John Orr
Village of Chester’s Building Department
is responsible for the enforcement of the
New York State Fire Prevention &
Building Codes and the Village of Chester
Our Code Enforcement Officer John Orr
manages the Building department. The Code
Enforcement Officer assumes the
responsibility of Building Inspector, Fire
Inspector, FEMA Flood Plan Manager and 911
Address Coordinator. The Code Enforcement
Officer is here to assist the residents and
property owners in the Village with
complying with the zoning codes and
regulations of our municipality
Fax: (845) 469–5999
Monday-Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm
Chester Village Hall
47 Main Street
Chester NY 10918
When Do I Need a Building Permit?
York State and Village of Chester laws
mandate when a permit is required. The
following is for use as a guideline.
FOR RESIDENTIAL PURPOSES
construction of homes, garages and
- Addition and alterations of buildings
- Storage buildings including sheds, garages and pole barns. Including
prefabricated buildings delivered to
- Decks and porches.
- Extending roofs over decks and porches
- Rebuilding and structural renovations
- Swimming pools above and in-ground, including decks around pools
- Installation of woodstoves, fireplaces and chimneys
- Demolition and removal of buildings
- Most improvements, alterations, enlargements and repairs.
- Signs, including temporary signs.
- Change of Occupancy.
If you are
unsure if you need a permit please call for
assistance. This will insure a smooth
project and eliminate any delays in
We would rather help you during the
planning process rather then make you stop
working while the proper paper work is
When are Permits Not Required?
- Replacement windows
- Non structural necessary repairs